Need to write artistic non-fiction, essays, quick tales, or poetry…and receives a commission? There’s an usually ignored area of interest to your artistic work: literary magazines.
If in case you have a journal of artistic work tucked away in a desk drawer, it’s time fetch it. Literary magazines can pay you for:
- Flash fiction
- Non-academic essays
- Interviews of rising artists, or
- Current ebook opinions
There’s a mixture of markets within the literary journal area of interest that welcome rising and seasoned writers, in addition to some pubs that provide a mix of each.
Though just a few literary magazines and journals could also be tough to interrupt into, make the most of alternatives to submit your work to be learn by distinguished authors and editors when the markets are open.
Seize your unpublished work, evaluation the checklist of literary magazines that pay writers, and submit your finest work.
Able to get began? Try this checklist of 20 literary magazines that pay freelancers:
This literary journal gives an assortment of remarkable essays, poems, tales, and translations.
TIP: This pub seeks fictional quick tales, and non-fiction literary essays, memoirs, opinions. Journalism or educational work will not be accepted.
Contact: E-mail Co-Editor Sven Birkerts
Price: Pays $20 per web page, as much as $300
On-line journal revealed bi-annually in Could and November, which makes a speciality of fantasy, horror, and science fiction.
TIP: Seeks unique work “with a twist.” No intercourse or violence. However you may’t go flawed with humorous submissions.
Contact: E-mail Writer and Managing Editor Ty Drago
Price: Non-Fiction pays $15 per article | Fiction pays $15 per story
Publishes literary and art work quarterly, which covers artwork, fiction, non-fiction, and poetry.
TIP: Pays bills of non-fiction writers on task.
Contact: Editor Briony Bax:
Price: Contact editor.
This bi-monthly journal publishes literary prose and modern poetry, which covers fiction, non-fiction, and poetry.
Contact: Editor-in-Chief Elizabeth Scanlon:
Price: $1 per line for Poetry | $60 per web page for prose
On-line publication, which publishes top-quality poetry, quick fiction, and religious themes on artwork.
TIP: This can be a nice platform on which new poets and storytellers can start having their work revealed.
Contact: E-mail Skylar Burris
Price: $1.25 per work revealed | $1.25 per poem
Publishes a wide range of literary works: poetry, fiction, artistic nonfiction, and movie writing.
TIP: Submissions might be accepted September 1, 2022. Test submission pointers for particulars.
Contact: E-mail Managing Editor Katrina Turner
Price: $100 for 1 – 6 pages of typeset prose. $200 for 7+ typeset pages. $20 per poem.
This nationwide literary journal publishes fiction, non-fiction, and poetry works, which is maintained on the College of Colorado Denver.
TIP: Wants non-fiction essays. Submit poetry to editors, Brian Barker and Nicky Beer. Joanna Luloff is the fiction and non-fiction editor. Teague Bohlen can be a fiction editor.
Contact: E-mail Editor/Managing Editor Wayne Miller
Price: $30 per printed web page / non-fiction, fiction, and poetry
This literary journal publishes poetry from new, rising, and establishing poets.
Contact: E-mail Affiliate Editor Jeni De La O or Editor-in-Chief I.S. Jones
Price: $50 – $150 for poetry
A quarterly literary journal of eclectic writing, obtainable in print.
Contact: E-mail Editor Mari-Lou Rowley
Price: Poetry $5 – $250
A quarterly on-line literary journal that believes “everybody has a narrative to inform,” and the place everyone seems to be welcome. It is a wonderful platform for brand spanking new artistic writers.
Observe submission pointers to current your artistic fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and hybrid works.
Contact: E-mail Editor Paige Perez
Price: $20 per piece.
This quarterly journal covers fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
TIP: In want of “artistic nonfiction or private essays.” Any topic, model, or style. Exceptions: Not interested by footnoted scholarly or vital essays, or commercial-type essays. No self-help, how-to, or non-literary work.
Contact: E-mail Editor-in-Chief Christie Hodgen
Price: Pays $15-$50 as much as 5,000 phrases, additionally pays bills of writers on task for nonfiction. Pays $15-$50 as much as 5,000 phrases for fiction. Poetry pays $10 – $25 with limitless phrase depend.
This quarterly arts and literature journal that covers fiction, flash fiction, nonfiction, poetry, memoirs, interviews, and lyrical essays.
Contact: E-mail Managing Editor Joseph Chino Castanares
Price: Poetry begins @ $5 per piece | Fiction, Memoirs, Reportage, Interviews, Lyrical Essays begin at $10 per piece | Fiction over 1,000 phrases begins @ $20.
Ninth Letter is a literary journal revealed by the Division of English on the College of Illinois, which publishes “prose and poetry that experiment with type, narrative, and non-traditional material, in addition to extra conventional literary work.”
TIP: The editorial employees rotates, and there’s a completely different editor assigned to nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Test the submission pointers for the suitable editor.
Contact: E-mail Editor Jodee Stanley
Price: Nonfiction, fiction, and poetry pays $25 per printed web page.
This literary journal really publishes one story each three to 4 weeks, which its readers are despatched by mail as a printed copy.
TIP: One Story presently wants quick fiction tales “which can be sturdy sufficient to face alone—the perfect you can provide.”
Contact: E-mail writer Maribeth Batcha
Price: Pays $500 for 3,000 – 8,000 phrases.
Along with “information, opinions, letters, and options, this pub covers tons of poetry and art work.
TIP: Wants essays, opinions, and technical characteristic tales. Test submission pointers, as content material wants change.
Contact: E-mail Editor Carole Baldock
Price: $50 for nonfiction
Publishes fiction, nonfiction, and poetry on a quarterly foundation of high-quality.
Contact: E-mail Editor Emily Stokes
Price: $100 per poem. Pays $1,000 – $3,000 for fiction and pays bills of writers on task for nonfiction initiatives.
Publishes poetry quarterly in-print and every day on-line.
TIP: A superb publication for rising poets.
Contact: E-mail editor Timothy Inexperienced
Price: $50 per poem for on-line contributors, and $100 per poem for in-print contributors.
A general-interest literary journal revealed quarterly, which publishes nonfiction, fiction, and poetry.
TIP: Nonfiction, the style most open to freelance writers. Test submission pointers.
Contact: E-mail: Editor Wendy Lesser
Price: Nonfiction – $400 for 1,500 – 4,000 phrases.
This literary journal covers the gamut of poetry, fiction, quick fiction, nonfiction, pictures, multimedia, and essays, which publishes quarterly.
Contact: E-mail Editor Paul Reyes
Price: Poetry pays $200 per poem, as much as 4 poems. For five+ poems, pay is often $1,000+. Quick fiction pays $1,000 +. Private essays and literary criticism pay $1,000+ at .25 cents per phrase, relying on size.
Publishes a mixture of curated works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry of established and new expertise of up to date arts.
TIP: Will start accepting submissions September 1st. Test submission pointers.
Contact: E-mail: Managing Editor Oscar Villalon
Price: Pays $50 for every nonfiction piece, plus bills paid for writers on task. Pays $50 for fiction, and $50 for poetry.
Write for literary magazines: 11 suggestions for freelancers
On the lookout for some insider recommendations on how you can pitch literary magazines, land assignments, and receives a commission? Try these 11 tricks to get began:
- Learn the rules and again problems with lit mags to which you need to submit work.
- Discover the suitable contact information. Submit your literary work to the suitable editor.
- Look ahead to literary magazines and journals which have particular editors assigned completely to poetry, fiction, nonfiction, artwork, essays, interviews, ebook opinions, and pictures. Listed here are some literary recommendation from brokers.
- Solely submit your work throughout the dates specified by the publication. Some pubs solely settle for literary work throughout particular instances of the yr. The submission schedule could be discovered throughout the pointers.
- Literary magazines are aggressive and could be powerful to interrupt into. They solely have a restricted variety of spots obtainable; that is so editors can fastidiously learn every bit.
- Make your submission stand out. Because the market is so aggressive, with editors overwhelmed with submissions, they learn rapidly with a watch to reject a bit. This course of narrows the choice course of. So, make your piece stand out above the remaining.
- Take a unique strategy. To make your piece stand out, lit mags and journals search contemporary, “completely different and unique” artistic literary items—knock the editor off their ft and sweep them away!
- Don’t worry the web submission course of. Submitting your literary work could require that you just submit the completed piece through an “on-line submission supervisor.” Probably the most used submission supervisor known as “submittable,” which is obtainable on the submission web page of the lit magazine or journal.
- No educational essays. Though just a few lit mags and journals are revealed by universities, they don’t seem to be in search of educational essays.
- A small charge is charged by some lit pubs upon submission of your work, as a studying charge; about $3 per submission, and the charge might be greater.
- In case you’re searching for other ways to get your literary work revealed, some magazines have literary competitions, which supply financial rewards to the winner of $1,000+.
So, get your artistic juices flowing, or dust-off your cherished unpublished literary work, go forth, and share it with the world.
Do you write for literary magazines? Inform us about it within the feedback.